Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My new soap box...

Lately I have been thinking a lot about how much I'm lied to, it happens every day. Recently if you've been following the primary elections you have heard many lies from politicians seeking to convince you to vote for them, and it comes from all parties. It's not just politicians, it comes from co-workers, my boss, the media, and maybe even church or other organizations. I'm not saying that I'm perfect or that I have never lied or stretched the truth, but personally I'm tired of constantly being lied to and it being ok. It has gotten to the point where it can be difficult to distinguish what is true from what is a lie. I think our world is so caught up in a cause or championing a position that we go to any cost to make our position look like its the right one, or to make our cause look like its the most worthy of your attention instead of making sure that our cause is honest and our position trustworthy. I am not a great conspiracy theorist, I don't believe the government is out to get me at every turn, but I do think that we are often lied to and quite frankly we're ok with it as long as we have what we want and nobody bothers us we don't really care what anyone else does.

Personally I want to seek the truth, I want my life to be true honest and real and I want others to be able to discover the truth for themselves. Eventually if we continue down a path of relativism devoid of truth we will fall victim to our own lies, we will no longer be able to judge character, or uphold law in our world because all will be corrupt. I once heard that if you are willing to lie you are also much more willing to believe a lie and can be easily deceived by a lie. I think that is correct, I think we need to start with our own lives to speak only what is true, and to live life seeking the truth. In doing this we can encourage others to find the truth and in so doing expose the lies that are so rampantly thrown at us. In the Bible John 14:6 says "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." Jesus offers us truth, and life, what is holding you back from seeking the truth? Or are you content to believe a lie? What do you think? Are we a nation that is ok with being lied to? Is there a such thing as truth? If so how can we know what it is? At what point do we get tired of being fed a lie?

3 comments:

Darren said...

Hey Buddy! Welcome to the blog world.

Truth is rare and most of the time very difficult to handle. It is easier for us to be prideful rather than to face our short comings. When I was in high school I remember telling a lie that was kind of big and within a month of telling it I actually started believing the lie was true. Next time I see you I'll tell you what the lie was so you can laugh at how insane I am. My point here is that facing that part of my life was heart wrenching and brought me so much shame that I can see why people would rather tell lies than face the truth about themselves. Though, I think once you've looked yourself in the mirror, the truth becomes more valuable and your brokenness and vulnerability allows God to finally speak the truth into you. I think when you get that truth you realize how precious and rare it is. This is why I think Believers value the truth so much.

D-Rok said...

sup man, im glad you got a blog. I feel the same way about this. A lot of times people lie because it makes them look better or smarter or to just make a better story. I know I have been guilty of this in the past but I have been making it a point to discontinue this nature and to just be more real and upfront. We can all see the damage a lie can do to the world. Just look at Adam and Eve, and the Serpent's lie to Adam. This led to mankind's separation from God. That's kind of a big deal

Stecher said...

Good point Derek, one lie really screwed us over and ever since then it's been a struggle for us to tell the truth